Monday, June 14, 2010

On the Move

I guess I can call myself a Calicogeorkian.

California. When someone asks "Where are you from"? My answer is "well, we just moved from (enter state) but I am from California". You can't beat the endless days of sunshine, that is what I really miss the most. I am sure that my skin is thanking me for leaving for it has had it's share. California will always be home.

Colorado. Loved living there. Camping, hiking, running... it doesn't get any better than in the mountains of Colorado. It was my first taste of winter. I was so afraid I was going to freeze so I bought a massive down jacket from Cabella's... Can you say Michelin Man? Best memories of Colorado: meeting my best friend Melissa, building our first house, snow that fell like glitter, the view of Pikes Peak every day, being in the best shape of my life and a near head on collision with an Antelope.. while running. Two things I learned living there: if you slow down for a yellow light you will be rear ended and if you don't lift your wiper blades off your windshield, they will freeze. And if you try to lift them off, you will be buying new ones.

Georgia. Hmmmmm, what can I say about Georgia. Hot, humid, cockroaches, piss ants, did I say cockroaches? Living in Georgia was an experience, an experience that everyone should have. It was a little lonely since Sean was gone for most of the two years that we lived there but I tried to enjoy myself. I had fun working with the 'locals' and learning the lingo of the south. "Mash" the button, push the "buggy", put some "bulled" (boiled) peanuts in an ice cold can of RC cola. When we left there I was able to work a mean Georgia accent. We lived in a historic home on Fort Benning called a White Elephant. I planted a flower garden, I learned to decorate cakes, I heard the bugle calls when the flag was lowered at the end of the day, I could see the guys with their parachutes jumping from the towers at Airborne school. And best of all, I lived by the muddy Chattahoochee River made famous by Alan Jackson. Did I say humid?

New York. Beautiful... in the summer. We have visited Niagara Falls. We lived on an island in the middle of the Niagara River where we had a view of Canada. That was our flipper house... we will never do that again. We have had the experience to see Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, watch boats go through the Locks at the Erie Canal, see the gorge at Letchworth State Park. The winters here are way to long for us. It turns cold in October and lasts until June. The sun is non-existent. Those rare winter days that we did have sun, myself and the house plants would soak up every last ray. To sum up our time in New York: I have become proficient at shovelling snow, I have become an expert at driving in the snow and I have become a disliker of snow. The best discovery: White Pizza. My realization? A girl from California does not belong in Buffalo NY.

This Thursday the packers and movers come.

Hi ho hi ho, it's off to Iowa we go.
Strawberry Point Iowa. Home of the World's largest Strawberry.
Population in 2008 was 1,247.
I doubt it has changed much.

2 comments:

  1. I really hate that "Where are you from comment!! It's such a loaded question for so many people nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you will love Iowa. I dream of being in a small town, but not too far from a big one, with necessities like hospital, for instance. All places are what you make them, and if you make friends, as you always do, it should be fine. Sunny-clearly I don't know what I am doing so hope this shows up?

    ReplyDelete